Man with Ebola tries to run away – level 3
A man has escaped from an Ebola quarantine centre, sending people fleeing in fear, as he walked through a local market in search of food.
On Monday the patient, who can be seen in a red shirt and wearing a tag showing he tested positive for Ebola, tried to get away from doctors in the centre in Monrovia, Liberia.
The patient escaped from Monrovia’s Elwa hospital, which last month was said to be so crowded it had to turn away Ebola victims.
More than 1,550 people in four West African countries have died from the virus since the outbreak was first recorded in March.
Liberia has the highest infection rate with around 700 deaths out of 1327 suspected and confirmed cases.
One local woman said care for Ebola patients was so inadequate, they were not even being fed. Healthcare workers eventually forced the man into a waiting ambulance and took him back to the facility.
Difficult words: flee (to run away fast), positive (have something), inadequate (not good enough).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos