Manhole explodes – level 1
Here is news from China. Boys stand at a manhole. One boy has a firecracker. He lights it and throws it in the manhole.
The manhole explodes. It hits the boys. One boy falls into the manhole. People save him. A camera films everything. It looks shocking, but the boys are fine.
Difficult words: manhole (a hole in the street that goes under the street), firecracker (something like a very small bomb for fun), light (to set on fire to activate or to start working).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do not try this!
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.