Manhole explodes – level 2
A group of boys from China stood at a manhole. One of them threw a lit firecracker into the manhole. That manhole, as well as the manhole next to it, exploded.
The explosion hit the group of boys, but it injured nobody. However, one boy fell into the hole and he almost dropped down. The other children, people who were around, and a police officer managed to save him.
Difficult words: manhole (a covered hole in the surface of a road), lit (burning), firecracker (a loud explosive firework).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do not try this!
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.