Many people on Machu Picchu – level 2
Machu Picchu is an ancient Incan city in Peru, and it is the country’s most popular destination.
In 2018, 1.5 million tourists visited the site, and when the pandemic ended, even more people were keen to visit. The place became too crowded, and tourists waited in long lines. Last week, local authorities stopped the sale of tickets for over one week. Some tourists became very angry.
Tour operators asked visitors to come by bus or train to Machu Picchu and then buy tickets. Some of them protested against that they couldn’t come. Officials warned tourists against operators who sold fake or too many tickets.
Machu Picchu had a rule for 4,044 people to visit in one day. Officials plan to increase the number to 5,044 people, but local people don’t agree.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.