Many people on Machu Picchu – level 3
Tour operators are creating chaos as they overcrowd and overbook in Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourist destination.
Machu Picchu’s long lines and crowds forced authorities to halt ticket sales until the end of the week. The measure stranded foreign and local tourists. Unable to reach the site, hundreds of them blocked nearby rail tracks to protest.
Machu Picchu has a maximum capacity of 4,044 people per day; however, Peru’s culture minister warned of local tour operators who sell counterfeit tickets. Some tour operators ask passengers to take the train and buy tickets on arrival at the site; however, no one will be there for them.
The country’s tourism minister said that the number of visitors would increase to 5,044 per day, which frustrated local people. In the 15th century, the Incan people built the citadel, and in 2018, it attracted 1.5 million visitors.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.