Many Sides to Winston Churchill – level 3
Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister of the UK in WWII, and many people remember him for the way that he helped defend against the Nazi attacks.
However, others remember him for his role in a famine in India when 3 million Indians died. This was when India was a part of the British Empire. People accuse Churchill of diverting millions of tonnes of wheat from Indian ports.
People say that he thought that Indians were less than the British people. He also had negative views towards working people and women.
Nevertheless, many people have positive attitudes towards Churchill. We are allowed to question him because, thanks to him, many of us are not under the rule of a dictatorship and it is his greatest achievement.
Difficult words: famine (when people run out of food and they die), divert (send things away instead of where they should go), dictatorship (a government that does not let its people vote or let them they think or say what they choose; the Nazi government was a dictatorship).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.