Marathon Canceled – level 3
Tens of thousands of runners may be disappointed this fall, because the New York City Marathon has been canceled. Organizers announced their decision to cancel the marathon that was scheduled for November 1, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Organizers decided that the race would pose too big a risk to all people involved, considering the fact that last year’s marathon saw over 53,000 runners cross the finish line. The New York City Marathon is the largest 26.2-mile race in the world, and it is an iconic and beloved event for many people.
All runners will be offered a refund of their entry fee or free entry to one of the next three marathons. Next year’s marathon is scheduled for November 7, and all runners can participate in a virtual race that will take place in the fall this year.
Difficult words: pose (to present), iconic (widely recognized and well-established), refund (a repayment of a sum of money).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos