Marathon in a desert – level 1
There is a marathon in Morocco. It is the 29th marathon of this type. This marathon is very hard. People run in the Sahara Desert. It is extremely hot there! The runners run 155 miles (249 kilometres).
More than 1,000 people take part in the marathon. They run in the sand in the beginning. Then they reach a flat area. They get to an overnight station after another 3 kilometres.
Nobody carries things for the runners. The runners must carry everything.
Difficult words: extremely (very), take part (to do something), reach (to get somewhere), overnight (you can sleep there).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Could you run a marathon?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.