Marathon in a desert – level 2
The 29th Marathon des Sables began in Morocco on Sunday. Some people call the marathon the most difficult foot race on Earth. It consists of six parts. The runners run over 155 miles (249 kilometres) in the extremely hot Sahara Desert.
More than 1,000 enthusiasts took part. They first ran through the sand for 12 kilometres. Then they reached a rocky plateau, and after another 3 kilometres, there was an overnight station.
The runners are completely self-sufficient. They must carry everything themselves.
Difficult words: enthusiast (person who loves doing something), plateau (flat area), self-sufficient (they do not need help).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Could you run a marathon?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos