Marijuana in the USA – level 2
The states of Colorado and Washington legalised the recreational use of marijuana a year ago. Among other things, people can enjoy chocolate sweets and white chocolate, all containing marijuana.
The governments regulate and tax the cannabis you can buy. The industry is growing. The sales of the drug reached around 400 million dollars in 2014.
Some people are happy about this because it helps the economy. Others say that the use of cannabis has bad effects on the health care system, families and schools.
Difficult words: recreational use (recreational use of drugs means that you use them to feel good), contain (to have something inside), cannabis (marijuana).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you smoke marijuana?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.