Marks & Spencer Christmas ad makes people angry – level 2
Marks and Spencer apologized for posting an Instagram photo of Christmas party hats in the colors of the Palestinian flag, on fire.
This image was actually an out-take from one of the company’s TV ads showing red, green, and silver hats burning in a fireplace. M&S explained that they wanted to humorously show that some people don’t like wearing paper Christmas hats. The company already took the photo away and explained that they filmed the ad in August before the Israel-Gaza conflict began.
M&S said that the hats were simply in traditional Christmas colors, which are red, green, and silver. The Advertising Standards Authority got 40 complaints but is currently not investigating the ad.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about M&S apologizing for the use of the Palestinian flag colors in the Instagram photo and its corresponding TV ad?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.