Marks & Spencer Christmas ad makes people angry – level 3
The Marks and Spencer Christmas advert is eagerly awaited each year, but this year’s festive campaign has been beset by controversy.
M&S has already apologized for posting a photo on Instagram that showed Christmas party hats in the colors of the Palestinian flag on fire.
The image was an out-take from one of the company’s TV adverts, where red, green, and silver hats were burning in a fireplace. M&S explained that the intent was to humorously depict that some people don’t enjoy wearing paper Christmas hats. The company removed the photo and clarified that the advert was filmed in August before the Israel-Gaza conflict started. They stated that the hats were in traditional Christmas colors of red, green, and silver.
M&S acknowledged the unintentional hurt caused and expressed their apology. The Advertising Standards Authority in the UK has received 40 complaints about the Instagram post and is reviewing them to determine if further action is necessary.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think of M&S's apology concerning their controversial Christmas campaign?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.