Marriage in Taiwan – level 2
Last Friday, Taiwan’s lawmakers approved a new law that lets men marry men and women marry women. Taiwan is the first Asian country where people can do this.
Supporters of the law filled the streets of Taiwan. The country’s president tweeted that this was a big step towards true equality and that Taiwan became a better country.
Difficult words: lawmaker (members of parliament/leader/bosses), approve (say ‘yes’ to something), supporter (a person who supports/likes something) equality (the idea that every person can do the same things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.