Masks at Hong Kong Protests – level 2
Hong Kong is under pressure over the last four months. Protesters, who are in favor of democracy and are against the current government, wear masks to protect their identities. The Hong Kong government used the colonial-era Emergency Regulations Ordinance to stop the use of face masks. If protesters do not respect the law they can get a fine, and they can be sent to prison for a year. A police officer can ask a person to remove the mask. If the person refuses, he can pay a fine, and he could be sent to prison for six months.
The government said some people can use masks for medical, professional, or religious use.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.