Masks at Hong Kong Protests – level 3
Protests in Hong Kong have continued for nearly four months now. Protesters do not accept Hong Kong to be part of Mainland China, and they oppose the current government. Demonstrators and rioters hide their identities with masks. The situation is getting worse and more dangerous.
The chief executive in council decided at a special meeting to increase the government’s power under the Emergency Regulations Ordinance. This law bans masks. Hong Kong ’s political leader, Carrie Lam, thinks that this law can stop violent protesters.
According to the government, the law will start on Saturday. The law does not allow the use of masks except for medical reasons and for special reasons such as religion and for work. Violators of the law will have to pay a 25,000.00 Hong Kong dollar fine and go to jail for one year.
If a person does not remove his mask after a police officer asks, he can get a fine of 10,000.00 Hong Kong dollars and go to jail for six months.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.