Masks Help People Understand – level 2
Millions of people all around the world are wearing face masks now. However, for some people, communication with others can be very difficult with masks on their faces.
About 48 million people have problems with hearing. Some people are deaf which means that they cannot hear. Some people, usually older people, cannot hear well.
For these people who have problems with hearing, lipreading is very important. These people need to see other people´s lips and how they move. This way, they can understand what the speaker is saying. A mask is also some kind of a barrier between people, and it can make people feel more distant.
A team of fashion designers made a special mask with a window. People can see each other´s lips and facial expressions. For many people, this mask makes communication much easier.
Difficult words: hearing (when you hear noises and sounds through your ears), lipreading (when you watch a person´s lips and how they move, and it helps you understand what the person is saying), barrier (something that makes it difficult for people to understand each other), facial expression (if a person looks happy, sad, angry, surprised, and so on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.