Masks Help People Understand – level 3
Approximately 48 million people have some degree of hearing loss. Ordinary masks muffle our voice, and it may be worth considering masks with clear windows.
When you wear such a mask, people can see your lips, which can be helpful for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Window masks make it possible to lipread and to see facial expressions.
Alicia Austin teaches infants and children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Currently, Austin has many online lessons with her students, and she says that wearing a mask can make communication very difficult. Austin says that children need to see facial expressions and recognition in order to learn, regardless of hearing abilities.
There are more benefits to window masks. They can be very helpful also to people with diminished hearing, typically older people or grandparents, who rely on face-to-face interaction to understand
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.