Mass murderer in court again – level 2
Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in Norway in 2011. First, he blew up a bomb in a car in Oslo, which killed eight people. Then, he shot 69 young people who were at a summer camp on a Norwegian island.
In 2012, a judge sent Breivik to prison for 21 years, which was the maximum time that the killer could get. Norwegian law says that the man can possibly be free after ten years. For this reason, last week, Breivik came to court, and when he came into the room, he gave a Nazi salute. He also held signs in English, which spoke about ending the genocide of white people.
Breivik is an extremist, who believes that white people should have control over other people. He said in court that he was not dangerous anymore.
Difficult words: Nazi salute (a gesture that Germans used during World War II as a greeting, and they held the right arm up with the hand open), genocide (the killing of a large number of people who belong to the same nation or group), extremist (a person who has very strong political beliefs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.