McDonald’s does not have enough potatoes – level 3
If you go to McDonald’s in Japan right now, you may have to take a small serving of fries because the fast-food chain is running short of potatoes.
Customers can only have a small portion of fries for about a month. According to the company, the reasons are heavy snowfall and flood damage near Vancouver, Canada, and many shipping problems that include the health crisis related issues, extreme weather events, and an upsurge in global demand.
In Japan, McDonald’s said that it would offer a 50-yen discount on its hamburger menus when medium-size fries were replaced with the small ones, and it would also stop selling an evening menu that had fries and chicken nuggets.
McDonald’s had to take a similar step in December at its roughly 2,900 branches in Japan. Unhappy McDonald’s customers may not know it; but they’re at the mercy of global events.
Difficult words: to run short (to have few items), upsurge (a sudden or large increase), at the mercy of (in a position or situation in which one can be harmed by someone or something that he can’t control).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.