McDonald’s leaves Russia – level 2
American multinational fast food chain decided to leave Russia after more than 30 years.
In February, Russia attacked Ukraine, and as a result, McDonald’s closed its 850 restaurants in Russia. This cost the company $55 million every month. Now, the company decided to sell its restaurants to Alexander Gavor. Gavor owns a McDonald’s license, and he runs 25 restaurants in Siberia. He agreed to run the restaurants under a different name.
62,000 people worked in all the McDonald’s restaurants in Russia, and the company said that they would get their wages until there was a new buyer. On Monday, workers took down the typical McDonald’s logo, two golden arches. It happened at a restaurant near Moscow, and it will happen in all the other restaurants, too.
Difficult words: multinational (a very large company, which has offices or stores in many different countries), license (an official document, which says that someone can do something), wages (money, which a person gets for his work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos