Measles Emergency Ends – level 2
On Saturday, the Samoan government canceled the state of emergency, which started in November 2019. During this time, young people could not go to school and public places, and the government wanted to vaccinate all citizens.
In 2013, 90% of Samoan babies got the measles vaccine, but the number fell to 30% in 2018. People did not want to get the vaccine because they believed some false information about it. Also, in 2018, there was a scandal when two children died after they got badly prepared vaccines, and the government stopped vaccinating people.
Officials say that there were 5,600 cases of measles since the start of the epidemic last year. Measles killed 81 people, and most of them were children.
Difficult words: citizen (a person who lives in a country or a town), scandal (an action or event that makes many people angry because it is wrong or bad), epidemic (a quick start of a disease when many people become ill).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos