Measles in Samoa – level 2
In Samoa, there are 3,700 cases of measles. 53 people died already and most of them were children.
Officials declared a state of emergency and they closed most public places, including schools. State employees helped with vaccination, but it was a difficult task. In 2018, two children died after a measles vaccination and some people are scared of the vaccination now.
More than 25 percent of Samoa’s population got the vaccination already, but it is not enough. The World Health Organization says that 95 percent of a country’s population must get a vaccination to stop a disease.
Difficult words: measles (an infectious disease that is typical for children and causes fever and a rash), state of emergency (a situation when there is a danger or disaster and officials control the country), vaccination (the process when a person gets an injection which helps against a disease).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.