Measles in the USA – level 2
From January to end of March, there were more cases of measles in the USA than in the whole year of 2018.
Measles is an illness which affects the respiratory organs (the organs for breathing). It can spread easily from person to person, but vaccination can prevent it.
There are six places in the USA where measles is a big problem. One of them is the state of New York. In one of its areas, unvaccinated children must not be in public spaces.
Difficult words: case (a situation when somebody has measles), spread (go, jump), vaccination (giving people an injection so that they will not get ill), prevent (to stop something bad from happening in the future).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.