Measles in the USA – level 3
The American health organisation CDC (the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) reported that the number of confirmed measles cases in the USA so far this year is higher than for all of 2018.
Measles is a respiratory illness that is highly contagious but vaccine-preventable. Health regulators recommend the children be immunised against 14 preventable diseases by the time that they are six years old.
The CDC says that there are six outbreaks in the USA – that includes the state of New York where a state of emergency was declared. In Rockland County, unvaccinated children were also banned from public spaces. If states do not enact stricter vaccination rules, the federal government might step in with nation-wide measures.
Difficult words: confirm (prove, say/show that something is true), respiratory (affecting the organs of respiration – the organs that people breathe with), contagious (able to spread from one person to another).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.