Meghan Wins – level 2
Meghan Markle is the Duchess of Sussex and the wife of Prince Harry. They got married in May 2018, but Meghan’s father did not come to the wedding.
Meghan wrote a long letter to her father in which she wrote how sad she felt, and she described the relationship between her father and her. The Mail on Sunday paper published the letter, and Meghan brought a claim against the paper. She said that what the paper did had a big impact on her private life.
Last week, a court decided that the paper had to pay 630,000 dollars for Meghan’s legal costs. The duchess said that she wanted 2 million dollars, but the paper said that it was too much.
Difficult words: publish (to make some information public), bring a claim (to officially say that somebody did something wrong and to ask authorities to solve it), legal cost (the money which somebody pays to a lawyer or court).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.