Men sleep on bridge – level 3
On Monday morning, protesters climbed the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge in Dartford, UK. They identified with the UK-based climate activist group Just Stop Oil.
The protesters scaled the bridge and set up hammocks more than 60 meters above the River Thames. Officials closed the bridge, and the closure resulted in two hours of delay during Monday’s rush hour and nearly 10-kilometer-long traffic jams. Police arrested the two men on suspicion of conspiracy to commit public nuisance.
Just Stop Oil is demanding the UK government stop new oil and gas extraction licensing and change to sustainable energy. Other recent high-profile London demonstrations were the vandalism of a luxury Aston Martin showroom and tomato soup thrown at a famous Van Gogh painting at the National Gallery.
Difficult words: hammock (a piece of cloth that hangs between two supports, and people use it as a bed), nuisance (a person or thing that annoys or causes trouble for someone), vandalism (intentional damage to things that belong to other people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.