Mercury in the sky – level 3
This may just look like another sun spot or solar flare but it is, in fact, something much more rare. This dark circle, moving across the sun, is the planet Mercury.
The planet passes directly between Earth and the sun about 13 times every century. The last time this happened was 10 years ago in 2006 and the next time will be on November 11th ,2019.
So who could see this rare phenomenon? This year’s transit was visible for most of the earth, including the Americas, Europe, Africa and much of Asia. And this isn’t a “blink or you’ll miss it” phenomenon, the transition lasted 7 hours.
Experts warned those looking for the planet to be careful. Mercury’s black disc only covered a tiny proportion of the sun and looking at the sun with unprotected eyes can be very dangerous. But those with the right equipment enjoyed this rare event, and those who didn’t will have to wait at least another three years.
Difficult words: solar flare (a brief eruption of intense high-energy radiation), phenomenon (something which happens in nature), disc (a thin circle).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos