Mess in Streets – level 3
Leeds United fans ignored social-distancing rules to celebrate their team’s promotion to the Premier League after 16 years. Thousands of jubilant fans gathered around Millennium Square in the Leeds city center, following a 3-1 win over Derby County.
The packed crowd partied hard close to one another, despite the club’s owner urging people to celebrate safely. However, the crowd also left behind a complete mess, and city council workers had to clear streets that were completely covered in empty cans and bottles. The clean-up started the following morning in the early hours; however, more than a dozen Leeds United fans in Leeds shirts turned up, and they helped clean up the trash from the incredible promotion party.
According to local media, several police officers were injured, and nine people were arrested for public order offenses.
Difficult words: promotion (when a person or team raises in position or rank), jubilant (feeling great happiness and victory), public order offense (violent behavior, riots, or other behavior that is illegal and can be dangerous to others).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.