Messi retires – level 3
In a shock development, Lionel Messi has announced his retirement from international football. This comes after Argentina were beaten 4-2 by Chile in a penalty shootout in the Copa America final, the fourth final the Barcelona striker has lost with the national side.
Messi, a five times World Player of the Year, missed Argentina’s opening penalty in the shootout after the game ended 0-0.
Speaking to reporters after the match, he said, “In the dressing room, I thought that this is the end for me with the national team. It’s not for me. This is my decision. I fought hard. I did everything I could to win. But the truth is, this is it. It’s already been four finals. I was already thinking about it. I did everything I could. It wasn’t possible to win.”
Widely regarded as the greatest player of his generation, the striker has won every trophy possible at club level with Barcelona, but his only titles with his country were the Under-20 World Cup and the 2008 Olympics.
No doubt that Messi’s disappointment will only be surpassed by his fans and his country.
Difficult words: announce (say something officially), striker (a forward or attacker in a sport), surpass (when something is greater than another thing).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.