Meteor in Scotland – level 3
A bright flash of light illuminates the sky, as what’s believed to be a meteor, streaks across the sky in Scotland, which the UK Met Office has confirmed wasn’t weather-related.
Many Scots reported seeing this astonishing sight in the early evening sky. Images of the phenomenon started circulating on social media with some speculating on what it could mean and others taking to Twitter to somewhat dramatically declare that it was a sign of the end of the world.
Captured on car dash-cam, the scene seems like any normal evening drive until the sky suddenly lights up and a travelling spotlight looks to be falling down to earth.
Other CCTV footage like this one here shows a dramatic flash of white, prompting many to report the unusual event to the police. But despite all the furore, experts claim that meteors are no more than a speck of dust. And that if this is one, it would have been no more than about 10 centimetres across.
So it wasn’t quite Armageddon as was suggested on social media.
Difficult words: streak (to move very fast), Met (meteorological – about weather), astonishing (amazing), phenomenon (something which happens), declare (to say), dash-cam (a camera which you put in your car), CCTV footage (security camera video), furore (excitement), claim (to say), speck (a small piece).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.