Meteor Over Michigan – level 3
A meteoroid is a small body moving in the solar system, and when it enters the earth’s atmosphere, we call it a meteor.
One meteor recently lit up the night sky across southern Michigan, a state in the northern USA. Reportedly,it sent homes shaking too.
An astronomer explained that as a meteor moves in the atmosphere, it compresses the gases in front of it. The gasses heat up and the meteor vaporises, producing light and noise.
Difficult words: body (a piece of something), reportedly (according to what has been reported – said), compress (make much smaller), vaporise (turn into vapour – gas).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos