Mexicans don’t like Trump – level 1
This news is from Mexico. During the Holy Week, people burn effigies. The effigies symbolise Judas. They can also symbolise unpopular politicians.
Donald Trump is very unpopular in Mexico. People burn his effigy. There are fireworks inside the effigy. They burn. In the end, Trump’s head explodes.
Mexicans are tired of Trump. They hope that he does not become the present of the USA.
Difficult words: effigy (a model of a person), politician (a person in politics – one of many leaders in a country), tired of (when people do not like something anymore).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos