Mexico City Cable Car – level 3
Mexico City has launched its first cable car system for commuters. The cable car serves the high and rugged area on the outskirts of the sprawling metropolis.
There will be five stations spread over nearly nine kilometers, connecting local people to the metro system. Each gondola can carry 10 people; however, the number is currently limited to six persons. The system was developed by an Austrian company which has built cable cars in 80 countries, and the cable car is expected to carry about 48,000 people per day in each direction.
Local people are excited, and they say that the new line will make it much easier to get to work and school. The first two stations were inaugurated by the Mexico City mayor who said that the system was transformational for the poor neighborhood. The system reduces traveling time and it has low environmental impact.
Difficult words: rugged (rocky and rough), gondola (a small cabin for passengers that is suspended from a cable above), inaugurate (to make a formal beginning of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos