Mexico Earthquake – level 2
A very strong earthquake hit southern Mexico on Tuesday. The earthquake destroyed many buildings, and it killed six people.
The earthquake also damaged several hospitals, and officials had to evacuate many patients and medical workers. Two of the hospitals treated patients with COVID-19.
In Mexico, almost 24,000 people died from COVID-19, and nearly 200,000 got sick with COVID-19. The situation was very serious, and the earthquake made it even worse.
Earthquakes are very common in Mexico, because the country lies on top of three large tectonic plates. The plates move, and they cause earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. In the past, there were very many strong earthquakes in Mexico, and they killed thousands of people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.