Mexico Women Protest – level 2
On Monday, Mexican women protested against femicide after several violent murders of women. They protested by staying at home from work and school.
There are twenty-one million women who work in Mexico, so their absence can cost the government $300 million.
However, the government, universities, and some companies supported the protest. It was part of International Women’s Day in Mexico, in which eighty-thousand people protested against violence against women.
In 2019 in Mexico, an average of 10 women a day were killed, and reports say that 25% of those women died in the home.
Difficult words: femicide (the murder of women or girls), absence (when someone is gone), average (a number in the middle of other numbers).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos