Mexico’s first woman astronaut – level 2
Katya Echazarreta was born in Mexico, and she moved to the United States when she was a child.
Recently, she became Mexico’s first astronaut when she took part in the fifth Blue Origin mission. When she was 26, she also became the youngest American to travel to space.
For many Mexican people, Echazarreta became a role model. She studied engineering and became very successful. Then she saw that many engineers in Mexico became drivers or repairmen.
Echazarreta decided to take a break at NASA to change laws in Mexico. At the moment, the country has no laws on the aerospace industry. For example, private companies can’t launch their rockets in Mexico. She wants to change the situation and boost the local aerospace industry.
Difficult words: role model (someone who many people respect), aerospace industry (companies which make rockets and satellites and send them to space), boost (to improve).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What does Katya Echazarreta want to do when she retires from space travel?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos