Microsoft and US Government – level 2
Technology companies competed on a cloud system for the US Department of Defense.
This is to take the place of computers from the 1980s and 1990s. An American official said that the government needs new systems because they are normal for most agencies or companies.
Amazon and Microsoft were two of many companies that competed. People thought that Amazon would win, but then President Trump made negative comments about the boss of Amazon. Microsoft won, which means that that the company and the US government are going to work together for 10 years for $10 billion.
Difficult words: compete (to work against someone else to try to be the best), cloud system (information that stays on the Internet), Department of Defense (a part of a government that protects a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.