Migrants in a lorry with a bear – level 3
This is the moment police seized three migrants trying to sneak into Britain in the back of a lorry carrying a polar bear. After opening the rear doors and coming face to face with the animal, the men hid behind the bear’s steel cage. One-year-old Nissan from Moscow Zoo was bound for the Yorkshire Wildlife Park in Doncaster.
The men were among a group of refugees who stopped a convoy of trucks outside Calais’ notorious “jungle” camp in the early hours of the morning.
One terrified migrant is seen to take one look at the one-year-old bear before running away. The other men spent 10 minutes huddled in total darkness before French police, acting on a tip-off, removed them from the truck.
Nissan who remained unfazed during the incident has since been settling into his new home.
Difficult words: seize (to catch somebody), sneak (enter in secret), rear (back), to be bound for a place (to be travelling somewhere), convoy (a group of vehicles together), notorious (well-known for something bad), huddled (close together), tip-off (a secret piece of information), unfazed (not shocked).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.