Migrants in Hungary – level 1
This news is about migrants. Most of them are Syrian. There is a war in Syria. The Syrians want to get to Western Europe.
A group of migrants walk from Hungary to Austria. They walk on a road. They chant, “We want bus!” Police watch them.
Another group of migrants go from Serbia to Hungary. They cross the border. They spend the night close to the border. They have no food or water. They eat corn from a field.
Difficult words: chant (to say/sing something together again and again), cross (to move from one side to another), spend (to pass time; to be somewhere for some time).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the situation for the migrants?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.