Migrants in Hungary – level 2
A group of several hundred migrants decided to walk from Budapest to try to get to Austria. They walked on a national road about 20 km outside of Budapest and chanted, “We want bus!” Local police watched them.
Meanwhile, another thousand migrants crossed into Hungary from Serbia. They spent the night near the border before moving to Budapest and Western European countries. Hungarian police in riot gear guarded the group. The migrants had no food or water, but they survived on corn from nearby fields.
Difficult words: chant (to say/sing something together over and over again), riot (a violent protest), gear (equipment)
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the situation for the migrants?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.