Migrants in Hungary – level 3
A group of several hundred migrants decided to walk from Budapest to try to get to Austria.
They walked on a national road about 20 km outside of Budapest, chanting, “We want bus,” watched by local police. They said that even if buses don’t come to take them to the border, they will continue to walk until they get there.
“We want bus! We want bus! We want bus! …”
Meanwhile, another thousand migrants crossed into Hungary from Serbia, deciding to spend the night near to the border before moving on towards Budapest and Western European countries.
The migrants, mostly Syrians escaping the civil war in their home country, gathered in a field just across from the border, preparing to spend the night there before resuming their journey. Hungarian police in riot gear guarded the group as they do not allow migrants to move along railway tracks and roads by night.
Left without food or water, the migrants survived on corn taken from nearby fields.
Difficult words: chant (to say/sing something together over and over again), riot (a violent protest), gear (equipment).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos