Migrants in Turkey – level 2
Last month, Turkey said that the country will not stop migrants on its border with Greece. Greece and Bulgaria reacted to the announcement, and both countries closed their borders.
Thousands of migrants are coming to Europe, and they are making temporary camps on the Turkish border.
Last week, Greek guards drove back nearly 35,000 migrants, and they arrested 240 people. The guards fired tear gas at migrants who tried to get to Greece. Turkey sent 1,000 police officers to help solve the situation. Greek officials said that they want to send back all migrants who come to Greece illegally after March 1st.
Difficult words: announcement (something that someone says officially), temporary (something that lasts for limited time), tear gas (gas that police fires at people to control them, and that is painful for the eyes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.