Migrants on Kos – level 3
Security has been tightened at a sports stadium holding hundreds of migrants on the Greek island of Kos after violence broke out at the site between migrants and police.
Greek police used fire extinguishers and batons against migrants yesterday during clashes at the stadium where hundreds of people, including young children, were waiting for immigration papers. It was not immediately clear what had sparked the violence. Once calm had returned, police ushered yet more migrants into the stadium, packing the stands.
The scuffles took place a day after a police officer on the island was suspended for brandishing a knife and slapping a man identified by Greek media as a Pakistani migrant.
The situation appeared calmer today as police with riot shields lined fences around the stadium and migrants queued to be registered.
Local authorities are responsible for the registration process, but migrants complain that they are understaffed, too slow and that there was no food or protection from the heat in the stadium. The migrants arriving in cars have come back crossing the sea in rubber dinghies from Turkey in a bid to enter the European Union. Many have fled war zones and poverty.
Difficult words: clash (a fight), spark (to start), usher (to introduce), scuffle (a fight), brandish (to wave and to threaten), riot (a violent demonstration), dinghy (a small boat).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.