Migrants Protest – level 2
On September 9th, a refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos burned down. Around 13,000 people had to leave their temporary homes.
Some people started to build a new camp nearby. They were mostly people from Afghanistan, and there were many children among them. Most people, however, did not want a new camp. They wanted to leave Greece and travel to mainland Europe. These people wandered around the place, and they were angry at the situation.
Last week, some migrants started to protest. Greek officials started to build a new camp; however, migrants do not want to move in.
Difficult words: refugee camp (a place where live people who left their country and they want to live somewhere else), temporary (something that lasts only for some time), mainland (the main part of a country or continent that does not include the islands around it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that rugby should have tackling?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.