Migrants Protest – level 3
On September 9th, a fire burned down the Moria refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos, displacing around 13,000 people.
About 100 asylum seekers, mostly Afghan families with children, have established a temporary base in an olive grove near the former camp. However, refugees travel back and forth to get water and whatever they find among burnt debris. A newly built facility of temporary tent housing has started accepting asylum seekers; however, some migrants are calling on authorities to stop the construction of these new camps. They are demanding to be allowed to leave Lesbos to travel into mainland Europe.
Eyewitnesses have said that Greek police have fired tear gas to break up crowds.
Difficult words: asylum seeker (a person who leaves his own country because of political situation or war, and this person wants to get a refugee status), grove (a small wood or group of trees), debris (the remains of a building or things).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you think that rugby should have tackling?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos