Milk from lab – level 2
Many people don’t drink cow’s milk, and they prefer other alternatives. These days, you can to drink milk which is made from nuts, soy, or even potatoes.
Many people don’t like the taste of nut or soy milk, and they also worry about the bad effects of plant-based milk on the natural world.
Scientists created a new milk with real milk parts in it, but cows didn’t make it. Scientists use genetically modified microbes, which make the milk parts. They make milk, which tastes and feels the same as real cow’s milk.
Some people worry about how farmers keep animals on big farms. These animals never see the sun, and they have little space. These animals have bad effects on the natural world, and for some people, it is the reason why they don’t drink cow’s milk.
Difficult words: alternative (another thing which is possible, or which someone can choose), plant-based (food which comes from plants), genetically modified microbe (a small animal that scientists change).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.