Milk in a river – level 2
Last week, a milk tanker crashed into a river in Wales, United Kingdom, and around 28,000 liters of milk spilled into the river.
The river turned white, which some people found interesting, but they did not think that it could be dangerous. Officials said that the milk was very polluting, and it could destroy all the life in the river. If it killed zooplankton, fish would die. If fish died, other animals which ate the fish, for example, birds, would die, too.
Two days after the accident, the river began to clear. Authorities still continued to watch the river and animals which lived there. Officials asked people to be more watchful and to report any dead fish.
Difficult words: polluting (making water, ground, or air dirty), zooplankton (the smallest animals in rivers, lakes, and seas), watchful (when somebody is careful and prepared that something could happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.