Minion attacks – level 3
Minions are taking over the world – no, really, they are! Traffic was brought to a standstill in Santry, North Dublin yesterday when a 12-metre-tall yellow inflatable blew onto a busy road.
The character, who will be be familiar to anyone not living under a rock, first appeared in “Despicable Me” five years ago and is now the star of its own spin-off.
This particular Minion was stationed at a fairground not far from where it ended up. Thankfully, nobody was injured in the Minion attack but that didn’t stop one Dublin city councillor branding it a despicable breach of health and safety… I see what you’ve done there, Councillor!
Sadly, the Minion met an untimely demise when local police arrived on the scene. Of course, it all begs the question, why did the Minion cross the road? I’ll get my coat.
Difficult words: Minion (a funny film character from “Despicable Me”), live under a rock (be unaware of events), despicable (very bad), spin-off (a film which is similar to another film), fairground (a large open space on which a fair takes place), untimely (happening at a bad time), demise (an end, a failure), beg the question (to find out the answer to something obvious).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.