Minneapolis Protests – level 2
On Monday, four police officers in Minneapolis, US, detained a black man. The police said that the man wanted to use fake money in a store. They asked the man to lie down, and one officer put his knee on the man´s neck.
The man repeated several times that he could not breathe. However, the officer kept his knee on the man´s neck for seven minutes. The man stopped talking. An ambulance took the man to hospital where doctors said that the man was dead.
The four white officers were fired; however, big protests started in the city. People were angry, and they wanted police to investigate the incident. On Wednesday, protesters set fire to local businesses and looting began. Police used tear gas and plastic bullets to stop the protesters.
Difficult words: detain (when the police stop someone and he cannot leave), loot (to steal things from stores or houses, usually during a protest or war), tear gas (a gas that hurts the eyes, and police use it to stop people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.