Missile System in South Korea – level 3
In Seongju, South Korea, people are upset and protesting because the military is stationing weapons near where they live. The country is installing four rocket launchers made by the USA, which South Korea calls the THAAD system. It is to protect it from possible missile attacks.
People are worried that the system’s powerful radar will bring health hazards. They are also afraid that North Korea will target attacks on them. Protesters and police clashed and dozens of people were hurt in the fights.
Difficult words: station (set in position), install (put into place and get ready to use), health hazard (a health danger or concern), target (plan to do something), clash (fight).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos